The earliest evidence of the Liffiton name is at Kingswear, Devonshire, England. However, it is at the village of Littleham near the seacoast town of Exmouth that the historical record fills in more details of the early Liffiton story. In Littleham Richard Liffiton married and started a family that lived in and around Littleham for one hundred years.
After Richard’s baptism in 1756 at Kingswear, about twenty miles southwest of Littleham, the record is silent until July 1, 8, and 15, 1781. Banns were called for Richard and 21-year old Mary Copp, at Littleham Parish. They married on September 17, 1781 at the Littleham Parish Church, known as the Church of St. Margaret and St. Andrew.
A rural farming community in the 1780s, Littleham Village was located a mile east of the seacoast town of Exmouth and less than a mile north of the English Channel. It was thirteen miles southeast of Exeter, the largest city in the county. Although today Littleham retains some of its rural characteristics, it is a residential suburb of Exmouth.
Following their marriage Richard and Mary Liffiton were tenant farmers, growing corn (the English word for wheat, barley, and oats), grain, pulses, and hay. They had seven children, five baptized at Littleham Parish: John in 1782, Richard in 1784, Arthur in 1787, Elizabeth in 1795, and a first William who was born and died in 1797. A second William was born about 1801, and George was born in 1803. In addition to the first William, Arthur died early-at age 25 in 1812.More Liffitons of Littleham >>>